Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Pain of Doing the Right Thing






The Crew and Gunny Sargent Bolton.



Obviously the title is in irony, because right now trying to type this insert is difficult with one arm being nearly too painful to type. My shoulder was injured, actually a pinched nerve that effects the ulna nerve, and now my right index finger is 75% numb, my elbow aches continuously, my shoulder and chest muscles spasms whenever it is decides to and sleeping is a lot of tossing and turning. Had I not taken the time to get the 100# vest and take it to class like I originally was not going to do , I would not have hurt myself. Class is in the Headquarters offices and since they "required" the vest, I took it with trepidation. I knew the vest would just sit in the corners once we start class, and if anything happened we would go immediately to the bunkers, not stop and put on the vest. I should have listened to that little voice.




Building before Dust Storm



I included a few new pictures of things around here, sunsets, dust storms, and a large view of the base. Dust storm season is upon us here in the land of sand and sun. Its quite interesting when the wind starts blowing and the locals are all wrapped up and we Americans look around and stare. "What's going on"? What's with the mask?", of course, anyone who has been here for a year or more knows what is coming. Suddenly the sun starts to dim, the horizon gets to turning brown and almost like smoke. As the light gets dimmer, you start to think the sun is setting at 10 am, but realize the dust is rising up like a great big wave and is about to drop on your head.


Same Building 5 minute later


Then it hits, just like a thunderstorm back home, with fury and anger. The sand completely darkens the day to twilight, 10 feet of visibility and it really does get in everything. One day so bad you couldn't drive. I live in a tent so you can imagine what my space looked like after it was over. I about an hour it is over, and then the air hangs with suspended sand for days. Moon dust would be a better description of the sand that is blown around, when the wind really gets to moving, it can actually take the paint off a truck, so I am told. Haven't experienced that yet. Remember the scene in "The Mummy" with Brandon Fraser,when the mummy stirs up the sand storm, I'm told those really do happen, they have a great picture of one from a couple of years ago. I intend to take a picture for my self if I am here and capable, I know, I'm nuts. (I love thunderstorms and tornadoes too).




Things around here are really stressful and complicated. Politics and chaos are the daily norm, never knowing what is the change for the day, even the hour. Large corporations tend to be this way, you just have to learn patience and flexibility. Nothing is ever the same, even now, all the work I have done for the past 60 days is now being sent to the shredder because the government and KBR has changed the requirements to fit the situation and now we are starting over. Really the procedures have been completely changed and we start over. Check KBR out in Google and read up on what is going on. Me and my buddy's here are trying to change the way things are done, and now we get to change the whole new way things are done. Frustrating is not the word to best describe the last couple of weeks, on top of being in pain. Even our supervision is doing things that are causing serious acts that are making the three of us consider our options. But, we know things will change tomorrow and I, for one, will have to be dragged out of here kicking and screaming, there is nothing at home for work. So, each day is a challenge in it self just to get through the constant task of trying to do what the job requires, and not think about the fact that tomorrow it may be for naught. My current life in a nut shell.

No comments: